Going through the Motions
Hey, girl, hey! 👋
So, listen. I’m saved and have been for quite some time now. I love God. I feel like I have a heart like David that longs to please Him…even when I mess up. I know that I am saved by grace through faith and that it has nothing to do with my worthiness. Do you feel the same? Okay, great! Well, how about the times – that seem to last FOREVER – when you just cannot wrap your mind around or force your body to study/pray consistently? You know, you haven’t sinned and you still strive to be Christ-like in your thoughts and actions. But, in the words of Lecrae, “you ain’t sinned but it just seem as if you’re going crazy.” Motions! That’s it…going through the motions! Does that not happen to you? I won’t lie. It happens to me and during these times (yep, “these times” like now) I’m often left wondering what is wrong with me and why can’t I just do it.
Anyway, I decided to have a quaint get-together. Just me, myself, and I were assembling to have a pity party and I stumbled across a couple verses that got me right together!
- Romans 8:38-39 says: “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- What that means to me is no matter what I feel like mentally, physically, or spiritually, God still loves me! He loves me because I have accepted salvation through Jesus Christ and live out his commandments daily. I may slip up and I definitely fall, but my entire existence is built around the love of Jesus and spreading His love to others. So, these temporal feelings will fade away if I continue to strive for holiness in my everyday life and my communion with the Lord will come back around in full force…BUT UNTIL IT DOES thank God for the Holy Spirit who…
- “…Makes intercession for us with groanings that cannot be uttered. And he that searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because he makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27
- When we can’t seem to communicate properly with the Lord, the Holy Ghost (as the old saints call him) steps in for us and prays for those things that we can’t seem to get out ourselves. I don’t know about you, but it is an overwhelming feeling of gratefulness when I awake in the middle of the night and can feel that my “spirit man” has been communing with God while I’ve been asleep. Sometimes I’m even aware of it spiritually and naturally while I sleep. That just lets me know that I am not as lost as I feel.
- Jeremiah 31:3 says: “…I have loved you with an everlasting love…”
- Because of the never ending, never failing, patient, kind, not proud or puffed up, keeps no records of wrongs kind of love that God has for us we can be assured that no matter what our current communication with the Lord is, HE STILL LOVES US! And because God has a love that never gives up or runs out on us we can fully know and believe that our communication will be restored.
So girl, if any of this sounds familiar to you take these scriptures and tuck them into your pocket. I can guarantee you that they’ll put things into perspective for you. As it turns out, we don’t have to be so worried when the lines of communication seem to get jammed and we feel like we are just going through the motions. Just keep striving in your heart and let the Holy Spirit do his work.